Sunday, January 11, 2015

Easy English Lesson 30: What have you done? learn how to ask and answer questions using the present continuous tense





Easy English Lesson 30: What have you done?


  In this lesson you will learn how to ask and answer questions using the present continuous tense which refers to something that you are doing at the present time, and also using the present perfect which expresses an action that is still going on or that stopped recently.


English Speaking Practice


1- She has cooked dinner: This sentence is used to refer to an action that has just finished recently.
2- I have lost my keys: This sentence is used to express a finished action that has an influence on the present, in this example the result on the present is that the keys are still lost and not found. Note that to make a sentence in the present perfect sentence you should have (subject) such as a name or a pronoun +(has or have)has is used with singular subjects and have with plural ones+(verb in the past participle form) such as done, gone, and written.
3- I have not spoken: This sentence is using the negative form of the tense to confirm that you didn’t do a certain action which here is speaking.
4- Have you cleaned the glasses yet? : This sentence is used to ask if someone has finished a certain action or not yet.
5- I have been to France: This sentence is used to express that you have had the experience, maybe you have been there once or several times but you are not there anymore.
6- I have been to France four times: This sentence is used to confirm the exact number of times that you have visited a certain place.
7- I have cleaned a lot: This sentence is used to confirm an action you have just finished, which in this example is cleaning.
8- I have just cleaned another one: This sentence is also used to confirm an action you have just finished you can add "just" to confirm that you finished that action few moments earlier.
9- Have you telephoned Mr. Jack? : This sentence is used to ask for a certain action that is supposed to have been done recently.
10- Have you been to Spain? : This sentence is used to ask someone if he has ever visited a certain place even once.
11- My English has really improved since I moved to London: This sentence is used to express a change that has happened over a period of time.
12- My sister has learned how to read: This sentence is used to express the accomplishment of a person. Note that you can't mention a specific time.
13- are you writing the letters? : This question is used to ask about a certain action in the present time whether a person started that action or not.
14- I am still writing them: This sentence is used to confirm that you are still in the middle of doing an action and not finished yet.
15- I am leaving: This sentence is used to confirm an action you are doing at the moment of speaking not earlier.


Grammar Tip:
     The use of the Present Perfect tense is to say that an action happened at an unspecified time before now. The exact time is not important. You can't use that tense with specific time such as: yesterday, one year ago, last week, last night, at that moment, that night, one day. You can use the Present Perfect with unspecific time such as: ever, never, once, many times, several times, before, so far, already, yet.


Dialogue:
Miller: John Kent? I have not seen you for ages.
John: Miller how have you been?
Miller: I have been really good, you have changed.
John: Yes, I have lost some weight.




No comments:

Post a Comment